Monday, September 13, 2010

My Personal English Renaissance

The fuel that fired the Renaissance was the rediscovery of ancient text long forgotten to Western Civilization. As scholars began reading the original Roman texts in Latin, they realized that the Latin of their common usage (both spoken and written) was flawed. Or, as in the words of Professor Burton, they said, "Oh man, were using really bad Latin!"


I thought it would be interesting to share an experience I had over the Summer almost analogous to this:


This Summer, I decided  that I should read some Jane Austen. I had long since been  a big fan of movies based on Jane Austen books, so I figured that I would like her books. So I went to the local Barnes & Noble and used my Christmas gift card and purchased Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. I could say a lot about those two books, but it is sufficient to say that I loved them. However, like the Renaissance scholars of old, it did not take me long to have my own epiphany--"Oh man, I use really bad English!" In fact, we all do... Consider some examples of common day vernacular in contrast to
the prose from Jane Austen's books:


Today: "I just can't find me a man."      


Jane Austen's Time: "The more I know of the world the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love. I require so much!"


Today: "I'm so good!"


Jane Austen's Time:"I am the happiest creature in the world. Perhaps other people have said so before, but no one with such justice . I am happier even than Jane; she only smiles, I laugh."


Today: "He's cool"


Jane Austen's Time: "He is just what a young man ought to be, sensible, good-humored, lively; and I never saw such happy manners! so much ease, with such perfect good breeding!"


Today: "Hey, chill out"


Jane Austen's Time: "I admire your benevolence, but every impulse of feeling should be guided by reason; and, in my opinion, exertion should always be in proportion to what is required."


Now obviously, this is a bit of an exaggeration and some of these quotes are not directly comparable, but it is quite obvious that there is a correlation-- and I would argue causation-- between digital media (in all forms) and what appear to be a trend towards the course and casual in spoken and written language.


This being said, there are, however, many opportunities provided by new digital media to improve our prose. Consider a few of the following suggestions:
-Take advantage of the many easy to access online dictionaries and thesauruses to help improve your word precision
-Google any grammar questions you have to improve your grammar
-Sign up for dictionary.com's word of the day to expand your vocabulary
-Add a grammar and/or word widget to your iGoogle or smartphone
-Use Project Gutenberg or any other online book database to familiarize yourself with classic English works


These are just a few of the many possibilities. Let us all consider using technology to improve, not debase, our  speech and writing.

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you balanced this post between the idea that digital culture tends toward more casual conversation, and these opportunities for discovering and learning better language. I would add that we are also able to develop new forms of eloquence (involving audio, video, etc.) than was available only in printed or spoken forms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It used to be that getting published took significant time and resources. People paid attention to detail, because that detail was the difference between making a million dollars and losing it. Now it takes seconds, and no capital. I think that because it is so easy for us to get our word out there nowadays, we pay significantly less attention to detail.
    --Eric Collyer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Jeff! I have noticed as well the decline of language, and I chalk this to a lack of reading. I find that when I read, the phraseology of those books creep into my vernacular. I believe this is what the humanist saw in the power of classic Latin: it gives the speaker or writer more liberty to express him or herself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for articulating that insight Mike. It is absolutely true. We, as humans, are mimetic creatures. In today's society, who do people consume more of Austen, Locke, Shakespeare, etc. or T-pain, Katy perry, and the likes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Jeff, did you notice that it took a lot less words to get the same point across in the course and casual language that was used than in the ancient text? Maybe we're just trying to save time! I'd much rather have someone say "chill out, dude!" to me than all the rest of that garble. Haha, just kidding, Jeff. Great post! Your probably thinking "Preston, you just proved my point exactly." :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so true what u said about ppl 2day not writing gud (IMHO). I think it's kewl that u took the time 2 think about it like that. U are so smart and so gud @ thinking.

    Haha totally joking, but I'm sure that everyone was able to read that. In all seriousness though, I agree with you all the way. Change and adaptation are important for many things in life, but something that is as fundamental as language should maintain its form to a certain degree. Just think of how Creole languages lack a certain richness and depth when compared to the parental languages from which they are derived. Kushe my friend, kushe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very true! In describing this frustration, I frequently used the simile that describing deep concepts in Krio was like trying to paint a masterpiece with a small pack of Crayola Crayons.

    ReplyDelete